Sunday, October 2, 2011

and the bride wore white

Last weekend I was sitting on my couch with my close-circle friend E. and fellow bridesmaid for other close-circle friend M. looking at the cover of the movie Bridesmaids.

Did you see Bridesmaids? It was amazing. It had an all-female leading cast, and what was great about it was that it wasn't a chick-flick, it was just a comedy, like The Hangover or Superbad. But it was all women. But it wasn't about the fact that they were women. Seriously, that blows my mind. And you know what? It was funny. SO funny. I nearly peed my pants during the whole movie, I was laughing so hard I almost forgot to add the vodka to my rootbeer. Almost.

But now that that's out of the way, I have a serious problem with it. The DVD cover (and I guess the promo poster?) is both ridiculously photoshopped and white washed.

What you need to do is to open this image and look very closely.


I know around the net there has been some complaint about how Melissa McCarthy (left) was covered up while the the other, thinner actresses were more exposed, but in the big picture, I can deal with that. I have two problems with this picture. First of all, look at their feet. Look very close. Look at their toes. Have you ever worn shoes like that? I have. For about 10 seconds in a store. My toes do not look like that. It's just not possible. All those shoes are ridiculously photoshopped to make it look like they are comfortable and all the same size. No. I am not okay with this.

Second of all, look at their skin color. Look at their legs and where their arms are touching. Notice something? Yeah. They're all the same color. They're all the same "very white but not too pale" white. Exactly. Even Maya Rudolph (the one in the bridal gown). You know why I have a problem with this? Maya Rudolph is half black. So why is she the same color as Kristen Wiig? This is what they should look like.

To be fair, I know that everyone's skin color can vary based on many factors such as lighting and age but I tried to choose a photo where Kristen Wiig didn't look "too white" or that Maya Rudolph looked "too black". 

Okay, maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this, but I feel like if I were to go out and find 5 other light skinned women and then we took a picture of all of us you would see a much broader variation in our skin types, not just lighter and darker but skintones that are more pink or more yellow or more olive, and yet, in this image they are somehow all exactly the same.

Leave your comments below. Oh and you should still see Bridesmaids, you'll laugh so hard you might hurt something.

No comments:

Post a Comment