Sunday, September 25, 2011

barefoot and in the kitchen

Let me make this point very very clear. This is not and will not (ever) be a cooking blog. Ever. Never ever. Got it?

Okay.

I am not very good at cooking, and I don't really like cooking. I think that I have the potential to learn, and there may be a day in the future where I'm one of those cooking people, but for now, cooking is just an annoying necessity of life like scrubbing the bath tub or showering daily. And anyone who knows me knows that I hate talking about food or reading about food or generally discussing food. The fancier the food and the more you describe it the more I'm going to be annoyed. Just say you made salmon and asparagus. Don't say you made "glazed wild-caught salmon with organic asparagus and a lemon caper sauce". No.

Anyway, all of my friends have somehow managed the basics of cooking (and some have gone up and beyond like my friend E here) and I'm still over here with about 5 boxes of spaghetti and some pancake mix from 2007 in my cabinet.

Maybe it's because there's a crisp chill in the air (almost) which brings to mind casseroles, stews and chili (okay actually I'm good at making chili, but really the only skill there is using a can opener and browning beef), or maybe it's because I'm realizing that only going to the grocery store once every 6 weeks is not normal, or perhaps it's because everyone around me is somehow able to feed themselves and their families nearly everyday without hassle and it's embarrassing that I can't, but I've been inspired to give it a shot.

I have the basics. I have a working kitchen (no microwave, but that's another story) and most of the basic tools. I have the 2 cookbooks I was raised to believe should be in every kitchen: The Joy of Cooking and The Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book, and I also have a Rachael Ray cookbook which I've actually used a couple times, and if you can get past her cutesy way of describing food it's a good resource.

So here's the goal. Once a week. I'm going to cook just once a week. And if husband doesn't like it, well too bad, more food for me. I'm not going to blog about it and I am certainly not going to take pictures of it, but I'm going to quietly go into the kitchen and try to make something edible happen. Wish me luck?

1 comment:

  1. The Joy of Cooking is indeed a joy. You will use it constantly.
    Let me know if you ever have any cooking conundrums.

    ReplyDelete